Wednesday 12 August 2015

Review: Batman: Arkham Asylum

I thought I'd preface this post with this warning: Please don't kill me.
Why?
Because today we're going to be talking about Batman: Arkham Asylum, and truth be told I didn't really like it that much.
So if you can put away your pitchforks for a second, I'd love to tell you why.


Overview
I love everything about the DC franchise, so anytime I get the chance to gear up and play as Batman to save Gotham City, hell yes I'm going to take it! (My favorite Batman is Michael Keaton if anyone was wondering.) It's the game that launched a highly successful action franchise, and won numerous awards and honors. I got the Game of the Year version of this game for Christmas, and had super high expectations from all the buzz I had been hearing about the franchise. In retrospect, the hype was probably a factor into why I found this game so lackluster. It's a long haul game, especially if you're into getting achievements/trophies and collectibles.

Gameplay
I wouldn't say that the gameplay in this title is especially hard, just that there's too many button combinations. I get that the point of Batman is that he has a bunch of cool weapons and moves, but honestly it became too much. I ended up punching my way through everyone because I would get way too flustered trying to do the cool combos that Batman apparently had. And by doing that I'd end up spending way too much time and effort on silly little fights with henchman. Seems to me like Batman and I could've beat the game a lot faster if he had an arsenal of guns instead of boomerangs shaped like bats.
There are puzzle elements to the gameplay, the most apparent of which are the riddles that The Riddler conveniently leaves for you all around the city. I didn't find them too difficult, although getting the camera angle just right on the 'answer' took me some time.
Still, you have to enjoy the open world feel of this game. You can explore pretty much everything, and usually there was some type of trophy to reward you. Being able to climb to the top of the beautifully designed and animated Gothic type buildings was a lot of fun.
6/10

Character
I mean it's Batman. What's not to like?
Actually, it's so much more than that. It's Batman, Joker, Harley Quinn, Inspector Gordon, and any number of characters that the game imported from the comics.
Someone give her a muzzle
I thought all the characters paid homage to their originals beautifully, and the design team captured the essence of psychosis perfectly in Joker, who was a delicate balance of fun and danger.
The voice actors were all cast pretty well, although Harley Quinn's gratingly sweet voice got on my nerves a number of times. Batman's husky mysterious voice was more akin to Dark Knight batman than any of the other movies, but that worked with the gritty realism of this game.
I didn't find that there was too much actual character development, but that didn't surprise me, as the game isn't about that. It's about kicking bad guy ass and looking cool while doing it.
7/10





Story
The problem with games based on predetermined franchises and story lines, is that the story within the game hardly ever holds up. This was true in Arkham Asylum. I was happily going through the motions of being Batman, but I definitely wasn't invested in his story. The only reason I finished the game was because I'm not the type of person to leave anything unfinished, but the story did not hook me one bit. (As I type this I just wanted to mention that the other games in this franchise do have a much better story, so if you wanted to give Batman a chance I'd recommend starting with those.) Truthfully I was expecting this game to get full marks for story-telling, considering its background in comics and movies, but the finished project played more action heavy, with a fairly predictable story line.
5/10

Replay-ability 
Considering the frustration that this game brought me, not only from having to relearn about 50 controls any time I'd step away from the game but from how I never really wanted to play it, never craved it like a good video game should make you, I probably won't be playing this again. However I do know of a few people who have played the campaign more than once, so it's really an opinion based decision about whether or not you liked the gameplay and stylistics of the game. I wouldn't say that the game is well known for its replayabliity, but it's there.
6/10

Extras
Unique Equipment: Batman truly has an amazing arsenal of weapons that makes combat a unique experience
Nostalgia: If you've ever seen, read, or played anything relating to Batman or DC in your life, this game will be you good vibes for reminding you of your childhood
Style: Definitely a dark game, turn up the brightness on your screen!

Overall Score: 6/10

I wouldn't give this title any awards, but honestly you'll have to decide where your gaming priorities are and play the game for yourself.

-Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment